Request for Exemption from the Live-In Requirement or Release from Housing Agreement

Live on criteria 
The Office of Residence Life and Housing is an integral part of a student's complete educational experience. You can find the residency requirement published on the University housing website and in the Student Handbook. It requires first-year and second- year students who are single, under 21 years of age at the beginning of the academic year, with a home address outside of Pueblo County MUST live on campus two academic years (4 complete semesters).  Credits taken concurrent with high school and/or credits attained through Advanced Placement (AP) CLEP, International Baccalaureate or similar programs do not apply towards living experience.
Exemptions to the residency requirement categories:
1. 21 years of age: prior to opening day of fall semester.
2. Marriage or children: Students who are married must provide a marriage certificate. Students who have dependent children must provide a birth certificate, and proof of dependency for each child.
3. Financial duress: Students whose financial situation would normally require them to leave Colorado State University-Pueblo if the housing exemption is not granted. If a petition on the grounds of financial duress is being submitted, it is required that the student applies for financial aid and qualifies for need-based aid. The student must also accept at least one type of need-based financial aid which may include student loans. The exemption will not be reviewed until the student has completed their financial aid application and financial aid has been awarded. Once it has been determined that financial duress is warranted, the Housing Appeals and Exemption Committee will determine exemption status. You must submit your financial award letter,  documentation that supports your request and a statement explaining why you are unable to afford to live in the Residence Halls. 
*Be aware that signing a lease before being exempted does not qualify as financial duress. 
*If you are requesting based on the assumption that living off campus is more affordable, provide a detailed comparison of the costs that you are considering.
4. Medical condition/accommodation: Students who have a medical condition, housing modification, or disability requiring accommodations that cannot be provided through on-campus living arrangements. MUST contact the Disability Resource and Support Center. Residence Life and Housing will then receive a letter from DRSC office supporting an accomodation that recommends a living arrangement other than lliving on campus, would qualify for an exemption. 
Disability Resource and Support Center
5.Living with parent(s)/legal guardian (s): Students who will be living with parent(s)/ legal guardian (s) in their permanent principal residence in Pueblo County or within 50 miles of CSU- Pueblo during the entire academic year. MUST provide copies of parent(s)/legal guardians ID and a copy of the students with the same address listed. Be aware of the following terms:
A. There is a continuing obligation to report any changes of address to the Ofice of Residence Life and Housing.
 B. A change in the status of address may require the student to live on campus housing pursuant to the University Housing Policy.
C. Falsification of this request or failure to meet this continuing obligation may result in disciplinary action and other consequences. 

6. Extenuating Circumstances: Other circumstances that may not fall into one of the criteria listed above. For consideration, the student must demonstrate that the situation is both unique and unusual and was a significant, unexpected, or major change beyond any reasonable means to the student’s control.Example of situations that would fall under this criteria include but are not limited to: transfer students who will have the necessary credit hours following the transcript evaluation process or an expectant parent with a due date shortly after the semester begins.If you check this box, you must provide detailed documentation.

The Exemption Request Form must be accompanied by all the requested documentation before decisions can be made. Students will be notified of the decision via their CSU-Pueblo email account, typically a week after submitting.
The Academic Year Housing Contract is for a full academic year, please plan accordingly. While an exemption for the Residency Requirement might be awarded in a given case, this often triggers financial penalties under the Academic Year Housing Contract and Housing Refund Chart, up to and including full remaining charges due.
I am requesting to be exempted due to the following reason(s):

By signing below, I acknowledge the information provided is accurate. I am aware that submitting this request does NOT guarantee that I will be released. If my request is NOT approved, a space on campus will be reserved for me and I will remain responsible for all housing charges. I understand the Request for Exemption is NOT permission to live off campus. I understand a decision letter will be sent to my Colorado State University-Pueblo email account.
Student Signature *